Do you love running? Do you have a dream to run a marathon one day? Good. Because after reading this article, your dreams could become a reality.
Whether you’re looking to surpass a training plateau or simply want to be inspired by other amazing runners, the famous running quotes in this article are sure to get you up and moving.
As well as being one of the most enjoyable physical activities you can do, running also can improve your well-being tremendously. However, it often requires lots of energy and dedication. For this, some inspirational quotes can keep you in the right mindset and give you the motivation to push yourself further and reach your goals.
So whether you’re just getting started with running and want motivation, or you’re a seasoned runner who wants to be inspired — these famous running quotes will hit the spot.
Let’s get started…
Motivational Running Quotes To Stay Active
No matter how old or young you are, there will come a time when you want to run your heart out (or at least jog), but you don’t feel motivated. These famous running quotes can give you the extra push needed to get outdoors and start running.
- “I don’t run to add days to my life, I run to add life to my days.” ― Ronald Rook
- “After all, if you run far enough, no one can catch you.” ― V.E. Schwab
- “Run like hell and get the agony over with.” ― Clarence DeMar
- “The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” ― John Bingham
- “Don’t dream of winning, train for it!” — Mo Farah
- “Running allows me to set my mind free. Nothing seems impossible. Nothing unattainable.” — Kara Goucher
- “I’ll be happy if running and I can grow old together.” ― Haruki Murakami
- “Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts.” — Steve Prefontaine
Running Quotes Revealing The Benefits of Running
Everyone has heard of the benefits of running, but if you’re interested in running but haven’t taken the first step, we can help!
These running quotes are useful to share whether you are just getting started, are already successful at running, or simply enjoy being outside and moving towards your goals.
- “Mindful running is the medicine which throws out all the negativity from mind and body.” — Invajy
- “Running is my private time, my therapy, my religion.” — Gail W. Kislevitz
- “Running is alone time that lets my brain unspool the tangles that build up over days…I run, pound it out on the pavement, channel that energy into my legs, and when I’m done with my run, I’m done with it.” — Rob Haneisen
- “Run, run and run….. the more your body cries out as a sweat, more physically and mentally fit you are.” — Invajy
- “Running is about finding your inner peace, and so is a life well lived.” ― Dean Karnazes
- “Life equals running and when we stop running maybe that’s how we’ll know life is finally finished.” ― Patrick Ness
- “You can alter mood by running.” — Tumpal Sihombing
Inspirational Running Quotes To Keep You Motivated
Running requires time, discipline, and persistence to achieve the results you want. Bad habits are difficult to break and it’s easy to get lost in your own thoughts when running.
Well, we’ve got a great solution; get inspired by these inspirational quotes about running and life that will excite your passion for running and motivate you throughout your entire journey, whether you’re an elite or recreational runner . . .
- “If you start dreaming you are not running fast enough.”― Jacob Vermeire
- “The pain of running relieves the pain of living.” ― Jacqueline Simon Gunn
- “Someone who is busier than you is running right now.” ― Nike
- “Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “If you don’t have answers to your problems after a four-hour run, you ain’t getting them.” ― Christopher McDougall
- “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” ― Dean Karnazes
- “Doesn’t matter how fast you cross the finish line if you’re running the wrong race.” ― Richie Norton
- “I run because long after my footprints fade away, maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy path, hit the trails, put one foot in front of the other, and come to the same conclusion I did: I run because it always takes me where I want to go.” ― Dean Karnazes
Running Quotations To Inspire Your Next Run
Are there any unique running quotes to inspire your next run, or even to get you out of that rut you’re in?
Yes!These famous running quotes can inspire you, and we hope they help you get further in your running journey!
- “Run often. Run long. But never outrun your joy of running.” — Julie Isphording
- “As every runner knows, running is about more than just putting one foot in front of the other; it is about our lifestyle and who we are.” ― Joan Benoit Samuelson
- “Running is real and relatively simple… but it ain’t easy.” ― Mark Will-Weber
- “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” ― John Bingham
- “Good things come slow, especially in distance running.” ― Bill Dellinger
- “We run when we’re scared, we run when we’re ecstatic, we run away from our problems and run around for a good time.” ― Christopher McDougall
- “Running is the basis of all the training that I do…it’s like an escape.” ― Ellie Goulding
The Bottom Line!
These running quotes are the perfect way to motivate yourself and remind yourself of why you’re out there, fighting through the miles.
Remember these when you’re feeling tempted to call it quits, and remember that you are never alone in your fight to live a better, happier life.
Share this collection of quotes with your friends and family, and, if you’re still in the mood for some inspirtation, check out these 31 Inspirational Training Quotes To Ignite Your Ambition.
Trail running and trail running shoes have exploded in recent years into a new market segment and almost a new sport. With major global events such as the UTMB gaining more and more attention, the call of the trails has never been greater. When I started running seriously in the 1980s, trail running shoes were…
There’s one common enemy pretty much every runner encounters at some point – and that’s chafing. Whether you’re training for your first marathon or about to embark on the Couch to 5K, the friction caused by constant rubbing – either skin-on-skin, from sweaty clothing, or accessories like hydration packs – can lead to raw, inflamed…
Taking on a fitness, mindset, or diet challenge is a fantastic way to have some motivation and structure to help you improve your health and reach your goals. A 100 kettlebell swings a day challenge is a great way to not only improve your cardio fitness and build strength but also establish a fitness routine…
According to a research study conducted by ACE Fitness, kettlebell swings are one of the most effective hamstring exercises, and studies have found that the kettlebell swing exercise is a highly effective movement for improving functional strength. But you may wonder, how many kettlebell swings should I do in a workout? Keep reading to find…
There’s a fair amount of confusion and resultant questions that are commonly asked about stretching, such as whether it is better to stretch before or after you work out, but another surprisingly popular question is: “Does stretching make you taller?” After all, when we stretch, we physically feel and are often instructed that we are…
Trying to follow a 1400 calorie meal plan is a popular approach to weight loss, but is 1400 calories enough to lose weight? According to Harvard Health, the minimum calories a day adults should be eating unless otherwise guided by a healthcare professional is 1200 calories a day for a woman and 1500 calories a…