You probably never thought you’d be asking how to run with a mask.
But this is 2020, and for many of us running with a mask is the only way to safely continue to exercise.
Update Note: the latest advice from WHO (dated 16th July 2020) is that people should not wear masks while performing exercise, as it may prevent them from breathing comfortably.
However, some runners may still feel more comfortable – or be legally required by their local legislation, to wear a mask while running outdoors.
This situation is ever-changing, with different restrictions in different countries.
For the most up-to-date information, keep visiting:
I’ve been adapting to running around town with a mask on (hint: curb the sprint sessions), and spending more time on the trails too as we adapt to the new normal.
In this post, we’re going to dive into what it’s like running with a mask, as well as:
- The best types of mask for running (material, fit)
- What it feels like to run with a mask
- Exactly how to run with a mask – and how to adjust your workouts
- When you should wear a mask if you’re a runner
- Tips and advice from experienced runners who have been training with a mask.
But at the same time, life must go on.
You still have your health to maintain, your marathon to train for, and your mental health to preserve.
So asking how to run with a mask is a great question.
Why to Wear a Mask While Running
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) strongly advises everyone to wear masks when they are around anyone outside their family or roommates. A mask protects you from inhaling respiratory particles of the virus.
What’s more, many regions, states and countries have made masks mandatory when out in public.
It also prevents others from breathing in your germs, in case you are a carrier.
Even if you’re not experiencing symptoms of the Coronavirus, you could be unknowingly carrying the disease. The University of Oxford sponsored a study that found that 18-80% of positive Coronavirus cases were totally asymptomatic.
That’s why it is of the utmost importance to wear a mask when out in public – if not for your own sake than for others.
When to Wear a Mask
Different states and countries have different guidelines when it comes to wearing masks outdoors, so you should definitely check out those rules in your area.
Here’s the main question to ask yourself when deciding if you should wear a mask while running: will it be possible for me to practice social distancing during my run?
If you’re running in a remote area where you’re unlikely to come across many people, you may not need to wear the mask – depending on where you live.
But if you’re on a popular trail or in a park buzzing with people, it will be impossible to stay 6 feet apart.
During the quarantine, it’s recommended to isolate as much as possible. But we still need human contact from time to time.
That’s where social distance hangouts come in. A great way to connect with your friends during the quarantine is by walking, running, or cycling outside together.
So if you decide to go running with a friend who is not your family or a roommate, you should both wear masks for optimum protection.
There’s another group of people who have to be even more careful when it comes to masks: essential workers.
Health professionals or grocery store employees should absolutely wear a mask any time they’re in public.
If you live with someone who is older or at risk of the virus in some way, you should wear a mask when running for their sake.
Does Running With a Mask Count as Hypoxic Training?
Not quite, unfortunately.
To be clear, hypoxic training is essentially what happens when you train at altitude – the air you inhale contains less oxygen, forcing changes in your body. Over time, your body can adapt to training in an oxygen-depleted environment, and you can take these performance gains back to regular environments with good results.
However, face coverings and masks – whether altitude training masks or the cloth masks we’ve all been sporting recently – work differently. They simply restrict air flow, meaning your lungs have to work harder. The air your lungs receive has the same oxygen content.
So, while running with a mask is not a form of hypoxic / altitude training, you are actually giving your lungs a boost by placing an extra stressor on them.
The Best Masks for Running
All masks are not created equal, especially when it comes to running.
Some are more breathable, while others practically suction to your face, causing it to fill up with moisture and sweat too quickly.
Even though I live in a quiet neighborhood where it’s easy to run without coming across many people, I tested out a few different masks to see which one worked the best during my run.
The Best Out of Three Choices
Here were the 3 masks I tried out:
1. A disposable surgical mask
2. A homemade cotton mask
3. A bandana
The 3-ply surgical mask filled up with unpleasant sweat and mucus right away. It was an especially hot day, so I wasn’t able to wear that mask for long at all.
The cotton mask was a little better, since it is homemade and doesn’t fit my face so tightly. I still had to slow down my pace quite a bit, since breathing doesn’t come as easily with a thick piece of cloth in the way.
Out of the three, the bandana was the most comfortable.
Since it’s only folded in half one time, the fabric was much thinner than the cotton mask. The bottom of the bandana opened at my neck.
It still blocked my breath from escaping to other people’s breathing space. But it allowed me some room to breathe more freely.
I did have trouble keeping it up since it was tied with a simple knot in the back, but the breathing quality is more important to me than convenience.
While the bandana was the most efficient for breathing, there’s still room for improvement. Many athletic stores are selling moisture-wicking masks specifically for intense exercise.
If you plan to run with a mask frequently, you may want to consider buying one made of moisture-wicking cloth that will eliminate more unwanted moisture.
How to Run With a Mask: Tips for Success
You might be able to get used to the extra dampness as you run, but there are some dangers involved in running with a mask.
As you run more, you breathe more heavily, which means you could inhale the wetness and end up choking.
But the most imminent potential danger is the interference with your breathing.
Breathing is already a critical aspect of running; you should always focus on inhaling and exhaling steadily to avoid hyperventilating.
So here are some tips on how to run with a mask in a safe and conscious way.
Let’s face it. You won’t be able to break your personal record while wearing a mask. Just lower your pace to the point where you can take smooth, clear breaths.
You shouldn’t run out of oxygen in the middle, and you shouldn’t bring the cloth into your mouth as you inhale.
Regulate Your Breathing
Don’t panic when you first start running. It’s shocking at first to feel the discomfort at the beginning of the run.
Many people actually give up right away, saying it’s just too uncomfortable and feels like they’re choking.
But the first few moments are the hardest. Use them to establish a system that helps you manage the mask.
Regulating your breathing is essential. Count the seconds you inhale, match them to the seconds you exhale. Short breaths are fine, as long as they’re even and steady.
Bring Extra Water
Drinking more water will refresh you and keep your momentum going. Be sure to bring a little more than you would normally drink.
If you don’t usually bring water on a short run, just grab a small bottle. You can even get a belt or vest that will hold it so you can run hands-free.
Distract Yourself: Focus on Enjoying Your Environment
Once you’ve established your breathing system, try to divert your attention to the scenery around you, the music you’re listening to, or your wandering thoughts.
The distraction will make the whole process enjoyable, instead of dwelling on the giant piece of cloth in front of your face.
Don’t slip the mask under your nose.
It’s tempting to shift the mask down to free your nose, but it really defeats the purpose of wearing the mask.
You’re still putting your breath out into the air, making it possible for others to get infected.
If you really need to catch your breath, stop running for a minute or two, find a quiet space where no-one else is around, and – if you feel it’s safe to do so – pull down your mask for a few seconds.
Alternative Tips for Running During Coronavirus
Choose routes as far away from people as possible.
These will all strengthen your running endurance while keeping that critical social distance from others.
Run during ‘off times.’
Most run in the early evening from 5-9 PM, or in the morning from 7-10 AM. You’ll encounter way fewer people if you get up with the sunrise or exercise after 9 PM.
Besides, the weather will be much cooler, making your run more comfortable. So adjust your routine a bit to beat the crowds and heat.
Get Creative With Your Running Solutions
Running during Corona forces all of us into thinking outside the box. A man in New Hampshire ran a full marathon in his back yard.
Many public races have been canceled, introducing virtual races as a new trend.
People are leaving the cities and staying in the countryside now, to get away from the virus and allow them to keep up their exercise routines.
If you’ve been training for a race and your plans were altered because of the Coronavirus, you may need to sit down and adjust your running schedule to fit the situation.
Running Masks You Can Buy Today
THIN & COOL FOR SUMMER USE - Thin and lightweight material to make you feel cool and breathable during hot days.The moisture-wicking fabric of the cloth mask can draw sweat away from the face, thereby cooling you down. The quick-drying fabric technology allows your mask turban to dry in a few minutes.
ONE SIZE FITS MOST -The sunscreen mask was designed with adjustable rope with a four-way stretch design which can increase elasticity. The adjustable rope can adjusted in size to fit various sizes of head and face to keep it in place, even during strenuous exercise it will not slide.
SUN & WIND-PROOF - It is made of UPF 50+ fabric which could help protect your skin from UV light under direct sunlight and you can breath as usual in windy weather and no need worry of breathing in dust.
FEATURED BREATHABLE dESIGN - The semicircular structure on the front makes breathing more smooth, without feeling stuffy. And it looks very cool in appearance.
IDEAL GIFT fOR OUTDOOR SPORTERS - Comfortable to wear and breathable. Ideal for traveling, hiking, BBQ, Tailgating, Motorcycling, Mountain Climbing, running, fishing, tennis, and daily wearing.
- COMPREHENSIVE PROTECTION: 4-layer filter can remove non-oil particles in air including dust, and other non-oil based particles. Ideal for Running, Cycling, and other Outdoor Activities
- EASIER BREATHING: One-way discharge valves allow breathe out; The increased ventilation lets heat and moisture escape, preventing eyeglasses from fogging
- SUPERIOR CONSTRUCTION: This dustproof mask is made of premium Nylon, allowing breathe smoothly; Activated Carbon Filters protect you from dust pollution
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Soft nose pad on filters and adjustable snap-on nose clip provide a better fit; Flexible ear loop reduces rubbing on ears; Replaceable filter increases ease of use
- LONGER SERVICE LIFE: Included replacement filters sets (7 filters+7 nose pad+4 vent valves) extend service life for the dust mask; Mask is washable by hand to easily keep it clean; 1 Year Warranty provided by AstroAI
- Material: Lycra fiber
- The fabric is soft, breathable, cool, skin-friendly and elastic, which provides perfect moisture-wicking, quick drying, windproof and UV-resistant performance
- UV Protection: It prevents your head and neck from harming and tanning and makes you comfortable in summer and winter
- Multiple ways to wear: neckerchief, headband, wristband, mask, helmet liner, hairband, face scarf, beanie, bandana, neck scarf, etc
- Ideal for cycling, fishing, climbing, hiking and other outdoor activities
- We are very busy but still need to exercise.Our workout mask can bring you into an environment that similar to high altitude and suitable for someone who wants to reduce the workout time and achieve the effects of workout efficiency
- Ergonomic design - The workout mask is made of non-toxic silicone body and adjustable elastic non-slip straps,one size fits most people. It can reduce the risk allergic reactions and skin irritations.Soft and smooth material can fit your shape of face perfectly
- 3-Levels air flow regulator provide you different options.If you are a new user,you can choose the level from low to high for training to increase your lung capacity. Pushing your limits step by step
- You can switch the resistance levels without take your fitness mask off so that you could get back to focusing on your workout. The sleeve is disassemble,changeable and breathable,you can wash it after your exercise
- Rise to the Challenge - You can start your ultimate challenge when you are free to control the breathing rhythm at every Level.Burn more fat,build more muscle, increase your capacity,push your limits and leave your competition behind.Are you ready for extreme training everywhere？
- ✅【UV Protection and Cooling】: Our neck bandana are made of cooling fabric, breathable and sweat-absorbent, that it can draw the sweat away and dry quickly. Cool feeling and great for protecting you from the sun and dust-proof outdoors.
- ✅【Super Soft and Breathable】: This lightweight face scarf are make of superfine fabric, which feels very soft and close to you face. There is also mesh design by the gaiter, breathable and cool.
- ✅【Elastic and Adjustable】: Each neck gaiter contains certain percent of spandex fibers and designed with elastic bind belt on top. It's easy for you to fit and adjust the tightness as you like. No worry of overtight or dropping off.
- ✅【Multifunction】: The magic scarf can be used in many way. You can dress it over your head as a cap or headband, or wear it as s neck gaiter. With the cover mask you can protect yourself well in fishing, hiking, motorcycling, cycling and so on.
- ✅【12-Month Warranty】: 12-Month hassle free replacement or money back during the warranty. If you have any problem, please CONTACT US without hesitation.