We are thrilled to hear that UESCA just announced that it will be offering the first annual UESCA Ultrarunning Coach Conference later this year from September 29 to October 1, 2023.
This is a fantastic opportunity for ultrarunning coaches and aspiring ultrarunning coaches to jump on UESCA Ultrarunning Coaching certification now in anticipation of the groundbreaking three-day event this fall.
The inaugural UESCA Ultrarunning Coach Conference will take place at the Antlers Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colorado, a city well known by endurance athletes as the site of the US Olympic Training Center and a mecca for endurance athletes, coaches, and exercise physiology research.
With the backdrop of the Colorado Rockies and the rich history of endurance sport performance, the location choice alone is evidence of the fact that UESCA has pulled out all the stops in planning the premiere experience for ultrarunning coaches who will attend the 2023 UESCA Ultrarunning Coach Conference.
Here is a video from Jason Koop about what to expect at the UESCA Ultrarunning Coaching Conference.
UESCA principal Jason Coop will be joined by numerous other UESCA coaches and experts in the field.
You can see a full lineup of the coaches and presenters slated to lead one of the 16 conference sessions here.
The UESCA Ultrarunning Coach Conference will consist of 16 sessions covering different topics that are relevant to both the practice of actually coaching ultra runners as well as the needs and physiology of ultrarunning and long-distance endurance running itself.
These sessions will be primarily classroom-based lectures and discussions about training, nutrition, physiology, common myths and misconceptions about ultramarathon running, the psychology of sports performance, and how to train ultra marathon runners.
However, there will also be hands-on sessions mixed in where participants will get to try different running techniques such as uphill and downhill running pertinent to ultrarunning.There is even an optional group fun run to enjoy the gorgeous backdrop of Colorado Springs while conversing with other ultra runners and ultrarunning coaches in a more casual atmosphere.
This run (and the conference at large) will not only be a great professional networking opportunity, but also one in which you can make lifelong friends who share a passion for ultrarunning, endurance running, and/or coaching other ultrarunners.
Here are some of the highlights of the sessions offered at the 2023 UESCA Ultrarunning Coaching Conference:
- Pseudo Science with Nick Tiller, Ph.D: A discussion of the common ultrarunning training practices and beliefs that are mistakenly thought to be grounded in science but are not valid or misunderstood.
- Panel Discussion on Athlete Recovery modalities with Stephanie Howe, Ph.D, Lindsay Golich, MSc, Jason Koop
- Ultrarunning Crewing and Race Day Logistics with Jason Koop to discuss crewing and navigating race logistics.
- Strength Training for Ultrarunners with Heather Hart, CSCS
- Panel Discussion on Building a Coaching Practice with Cliff Pittman, Heather Hart CSCS, and Faith Raymond Strafach, MS
- Training Program Development with Jason Koop: The important considerations for designing long- and short-course ultrarunning training programs.
- Trail session on Pole Use / Climbing / Descending with Jason Koop (transportation provided)
- Environmental Physiology with Lindsay Golich
- Ultrarunning Nutrition with Stephanie Howe, Ph.D
- Running Biomechanics on Trail vs Road with Wouter Hoogkamer, Ph.D
- Respiratory Physiology with Nick Tiller, Ph.D
- Fun Run in the foothills surrounding Colorado Springs. The run will be led by Jason Koop.
- Social in Antlers Grille
- Panel Discussion on Injury Prevention and Intervention with Nat Collins DPT/CSCS, Jessica Cozine-Lehman DPT, and Heather Hart CSCS
- Sports Psychology and Coaching Considerations with Justin Ross Psy.D
- Ultrarunning Health Consequences with Nick Tiller Ph.D
- Physiological Requirements of Ultrarunning with Jason Koop
- Open Q & A Panel about topics discussed during the conference or pertinent to ultrarunning.
You can find a detailed schedule outlining all of the sessions and presenters on the webpage for the event here.
Registration fees include not only all of the programming but also a bunch of fun swag from the UESCA Ultrarunning Coach Conference sponsors, lunch on Friday and Saturday, and a Saturday Night Social with complimentary hors d’oeuvres and Athletic Brewing beer.
Even if you are not a UESCA-certified Ultrarunning Coach (or working towards certification from UESCA or another run coaching organization), the 2023 UESCA Ultrarunning Coach Conference will provide a rich learning, growing, networking, and inspiring experience for ultra runners and aspiring ultramarathon runners.
In other words, you do not have to be a coach or even intend on pursuing ultrarunning coaching to attend the conference and derive lifelong benefits.
Important Details About the 2023 UESCA Ultrarunning Coach Conference
- Conference date: Friday, September 29 – Sunday, October 1, 2023. The first session begins Friday, September 29 at 9:00 AM.
- Location: Antlers Hotel
Address: 4 S. Cascade Avenue, Colorado Springs
Visit this link to Reserve a Room
- Early-Bird Pricing is $499 (prices go up to the next tier on July 6th)
A few important things to keep in mind is that this is an in-person event only; there will be no recordings available.
Moreover, there are only 125 seats available at the conference, and registration is offered on a first-come-first-serve basis.
The event will likely sell out given the unique opportunity it provides, the tremendous lineup of speakers, the hands-on experience, and the networking opportunities.
Therefore, if you are interested in attending, it is highly recommended that you get signed up before it sells out.
Plus, if you act soon, you can take advantage of the Early Bird pricing, which is only available until July 6, 2023.
What are you waiting for? Click here to register for the first-ever UESCA Ultrarunning Coaching Conference in September 2023.
Let us know if you are going to be there!